Saturday, September 27, 2014

Blinis and Caviar

Someone told me that he rather have $150 of meat or fish than a few mouthfulls of fisheggs.
I agree, but sometimes it feels good to indulge oneself.it might not be good for your wallet, but good for ones soul. That said, one can discuss how often indulging yourself is proper.

I saw this caviar from Rossini on instagram. I have not had any caviar in a while and they looked so temting. I googled and found out that I could get some at Kastrup airpot in Copenhagen.
From what I understad these eggs are from farmed sturgeons and not endangering the wild sturgeon population whitch is about to get extinct because of overfishing and just because of their roe.
A couple of weeks ago I had to go to Copenhagen for work and picked up a little tin of caviar and with this in the fridge I had to make some blinis. It has been years since I made these buckwheat pancakes.

“Round is the blini, yellow gold and hot like the sun, the symbol of sublime days, rich harvests, harmonious marriages and healthy children.”
– Alexander Kuprin.

For 4 servings you will need
1 cup luke warm milk
1/2 oresh yeast
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup plain flour
or use something glutenfree.
2 eggyolks
2 tbs melted butter
2 beaten eggwhites, soft peaks

Caviar
Sour cream
Chopped red onions

Pour the milk into a bowl and cruble in the yeast.
Add the flour and stir carefully until there are no more lumps, while stiring add the eggyolks, salt and butter, set the batter aside for an hour.
  1. .
    Fold the egg whites into the batter mixture.



    Add a spoonful of the batter and fry for 45-60 seconds, until golden underneath, then turn over and cook for 30 seconds on the other side. Remove the blini and place onto kitchen paper. Repeat this process with the remaining batter. Keep the blinis warm.
To serve, arrange sour crem, chopped red onions, blinis and the caviar on a tray and serve yourself and enjoy the little feast with some vodka or like I did with Champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger.../a>